Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Day 34 - BBC interview then Cycling and Snorkeling

BBC Documentary Interview

It's not every day that you get interviewed by the BBC although, unbelievably, this has now happened to me twice on this trip and both times it was in and around Marseille that it happened. The first time was after I wrote in to the news web site offering my observations of trouble at the England v Russia game. This time it was on more familiar grounds, the so-called "aquatic ape hypothesis". Richard Collins is doing a program entitled "The Waterside Ape", a kind of follow on from one he did 12 years ago called "The Scars of Evolution" and he wanted me to take part.
Richard Collins
So I spent the morning checking the internet to make sure there hadn't been any amazing story relating this idea that might have slipped my notice and getting Skype set up and tested. Leb called me on Skype to test my connection and, as long as video wasn't streaming too, it seemed ok.

So I skyped Richard and, quite informally, we just started nattering really. The whole thing lasted about 40 minutes but I could have quite happily carried on all day.

Air BnB place - located perfectly

Bike Hire and Snorkel

After that was over and done with it was a case of trying find a place to hire a bike. They're all over the world now in big cities, these bike hire companies that you can just turn up to, hire a bike for a journey and ride it somewhere else. I think I might do it again tomorrow to go to the city center. Here in Marseille it's called "Le Velo". After a bit of a struggle at first understanding the general concept - you buy a ticket with a credit card and then you hire one of the bikes locked into the parking bays. The bikes are quite simple in some ways (only three gears) but have sophisticated security with a clever bike lock that releases a key when you clip the bike lock - attached to the actual bike - in place.


Very cool locking mechanism
I then bought a cheap snorkel and set off for le parc national des calanques - (Creek Park?). It was easier than I thought as I was expecting very steep windy roads  but the scenery was every bit as spectacular as I'd hoped. I stopped off and bought another bag of delicious apricots and a bottle of water before continuing into the park.
Google thinks I'm fitter than I am - took me at least 45 minutes
Not as hilly as I'd expected
I got to Callelongue about 1 am where I left my bag behind the bar of a nice looking restaurant before going in for a dip. The water was surprisingly cold but I got used it fairly quickly. There wasn't a plethora of fish - this is no Ningaloo Reef - but it was nevertheless very pleasant. After swimming around into a little secluded cove I decided to get of of the water for 15 minutes to warm up. As I did I noticed my snorkel (but not my goggles) had gone missing. I thought about asking a bunch of SCUBA divers who were swimming past after returning from a dive but I was too embarrassed. Instead I noticed it was below where I was sitting and didn't appear to be too deep. Why don't they make snorkels and goggles that float? Anyway, after a couple of failed attempts I managed to rescue my snorkel and swim back to the little beach in the center of the seaside hamlet.

About to find out how cold it is in there

Chocolate time before it melts




I went into the restaurant to eat, as I promised I would, but I had no idea at the delicious food about to be served. I had fish soup - annoyingly served with croutons rather than soft bread - and some strange things in little pots. Stupidly thinking one of them was some kind of almond, I put a whole one into my mouth and started chewing. Eugh! It was a whole, raw garlic clove!! (Idiot!) I swallowed but the taste in my mouth was overwhelming. Several glasses of water weer needed to calm that down. I thought I was going to be sick at one point.

For the mains I had duck in raspberry vinegar, sauted potatoes and various veggies. Yum! There was plenty too - too much to eat it all.



Best meal so far - Duck in Raspberry vinegar
After waiting a ridiculous amount of time for the bill to be delivered and, even longer for the payment to be collected, I headed back to Point Rouge, dropped off the bike and came back here, 60 seconds from the beach to the front door of the apartment.












Bike safely returned

Le velo - great idea
After a bit of a nap (not as young as I was, all that exertion takes it out of you) I headed off for a stroll and a couple of beers.

There was a lovely dusk over the sea and the two bars were nice changes.




Connolly's Corner

Aljice
Marseille

No comments:

Post a Comment